lørdag den 18. september 2010

Goblin Tunneler


This here is my favorite illustration. I think the reason is that it is pretty simple and straight forward in the design. The description was simple: A goblin with a hacking tool who has dug himself out of a tunnel. What I like about this specific work is that the brushstrokes are very loose and chunky but still precise accurate. I think it has thus aura of easiness that I constantly seek and that I find so hard to achieve. When it succeed it is not until afterwards that I realize that it went well: While in it it just flows without thinking.
One of the reason might be that the drawing is simple and the background is just like a wall. I felt I could relax a lot and concentrate on obtaining texture in the skin and material rather than painting elements. that is my downfall. If I start thinking too much about the elements it goes sour. "Oh well this is robe, its brown. the skin is red, the metal is grey and the cliffs are brown". I try, and by try I mean force myself, to paint texture within the same value instead of thinking too much in colors. If I go loose and muddy and dots different colors within the same value on, lets say metal, I get a nice dirty look. I can then add shadows and especially highlights to pull out the form. You see this in the metal hooks or the wedges in the belt.
Also I am pretty happy with the sloppiness of the cliffs to the right.

8 kommentarer:

Daniel Ljunggren sagde ...

fantastiskt fin!

Kan Muftic sagde ...

i hear you with that simplicity issue.. no difference even if you work in digital like me.
exellent piece, btw.
regards,
Kan

Unknown sagde ...

Fantastic illustration.

I've been wondering for a while if you'll sell an artbook with your work, I'd buy it in a split second.

Keep up the good work!

Kari Christensen sagde ...

Utrolig stein kuult! Ha ha- I love this one. His metal claw is great- the whole creature design and rendering is great.

meriurdu sagde ...

superb superb work man your doing good job i just say for your blog thumb up


Urdu poetry

Ivan sagde ...

This is the illustration that drew my attention your way. I love the way this goblin looks. I've not only sketched him but I've done my own piece that is a take on this one. Don't worry, I always cite my sources and give credit where credit is due.

will sagde ...

fantastic artist ! really inspiring !

AlanKlug sagde ...

This is also my favorite of your works that I can see. It just feels real you know. The brush work and color work really well and that nose is epic!